Friday, February 17, 2012

Cultural differences

In stores, on the streets, and in schools this very old language of Euskara is kept alive in Bilbao. Brand names are printed in both Euskara and Spanish. Streets and signs are interchanged between the two languages, and in schools the children are taught Euskara, Spanish, and English.

Yesterday I had my first tutoring session with an 11 year-old boy named Iñigo. His parents hired me to hold a conversation class with him that will eventually prepare him for an English proficiency exam.

In our first hour session I learned a lot about his lifestyle here in Spain. As he talked to me about his school, his summers, and his free time I couldn't help but think how different my childhood was. He talked to me about his structured school, and on Fridays he goes to what he calls, The Academy where students practice English all afternoon.

When we talked about his summer vacations, he told me about going to camp. I was excited to hear about what kids to at summer camp here in Spain, but he told me he goes to a camp to learn English. He said all his friends go to camp to learn English for one month in the summer.

This surprised me, such structure in a child's life. Three languages in school. Fridays dedicated to The Academy for English. When I was young I was free, childhood was practically careless. There was no worry in the world, and summers where for soaking up the sun and playing at the beach.

I figured with the slow and intermittent work day of the Spanish culture, the children would be just as care free, maybe even lazy. That's not the case. The work ethic of this child was greater than anything I've ever seen. Childhood in America is a past time of when things were easy. Peter Pan didn't want to grow up for a reason.

Childhood here doesn't seem easy. On top of my one hour session with Iñigo, a French tutor also comes to his house once a week. At 11 years-old so much structure seems unnatural. What happened to summer camps with swimming and archery? It seems odd to me a culture with afternoon naps, stress the education of young children so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment