Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Biographical sketch


The state of Maine is a place people are proud to call home. “The way life should be,” is a memorable staple that greets its visitors at the state boarders and welcomes home it’s fellow natives. Maine is a place you have everything you need and nothing more.

The terrain varies from mountains and lakes to sandy beaches and rocky shorelines. Although Maine is known for it’s extensive coastline, there is something about being on top of a mountain and experiencing the vast openness of nature that can become overwhelming at times. It’s like nothing else in the world when you cannot sight another soul for as far as your eyes can see. To only hear the sound of silence amidst your own breath is not an experience people have often. 

Moving abroad and taking classes in a metropolitan area in Europe has been the biggest transition of my entire life. I live and go to school in my home state, attending the University of Maine, the flagship campus where I study Journalism and Spanish. The choice to go abroad was plain for me because I saw how it could improve upon both of my majors.

Gexto and Bilbao are amazing, beautiful, and full of life. Every day there is something new to see or do. With such a plethora of experiences to choose from, I find myself exhausted at the end of the day. Sometimes on the metro I just need to close my eyes because they are tired from taking it all in.

It’s exciting to learn new things, and travel to new places. I’ll be proud of myself when I return home with a head full of new information and unforgettable memories.

I plan to use this semester to improve on my Spanish, and to begin to open my eyes to new experiences. How will I know what anything is like if I haven’t done it myself? In the same way, how can I write about something I have never done? I believe the semester ahead of me will help form a better base for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment